A New Years eve surprise (Deep Fried Brussels sprouts with garlic chips and buttered panko)

I am not a fan of New Year's Eve.  But I do like a new year, I love starting over, growing, pressing restart and all those things like that. But, the build up and pressure to New Years Eve has always made me perturbed and always sets me up for failure.  I started a new tradition in 2013,  just be low key and have a delicious dinner. It has served me well.

I have a man in my life now but we were planning to spend New Years apart.  I could have called people to hang out, but what really sounded good was making a good meal, some wine, and a glass of champagne in the bathtub.  I sat down to meal plan and remembered the last new years I made a full meal.  It was steak, brussels sprouts and a twice baked potato, just three of my favorite things!  I wanted to get a blog post out of it too so I decided to get creative.

In my old historic home, I used to frequent Noodle and Pie down the street A LOT.  It is a ramen joint with homemade pies, but my favorite thing on the menu was, of course, Brussels sprouts!  I knew they were fried, had garlic chips and some kind of magical sauce and breadcrumb like thing that just was out of this world.  

I improvised to try and recreate the recipe and they were pretty good.  Then I reheated in the oven a few days later and they were even better!  That is what I was missing! I will recreate that step.  In the end, I ended up spending the evening with my gentleman caller after all, and I was glad I made such a big yummy meal we could both enjoy!  We toasted the end to 2016 and a new beginning for 2017, and I decided to make more Brussels sprouts and do more kissing this year!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Deep Fried Brussels Sprouts
The other parts aren't so bad themselves, but just look at the sprouts!

I was rushing and only got one pic of the ingredients so this is what you get.
garlic chips
I used my Pampered Chef Spiral and Slice to make the garlic chips.  You should get one.  It is great for cheese, chocolate and garlic.  If you don't, try your zoodle maker or patience to slice this thin.
Fry up those garlic chips.  Yum!
garlic chips
Um, Yum.  I cannot describe how good this is.

Coat your Panko in butter and heat to toast a bit.
Then deep fry your Brussels Sprouts.  I mean how can this not be good?!
Add some pepper jelly to coat
I fried the second batch longer.  Pour over your garlic and panko.  It's like snow!
Toss all together and get ready for delicious!
Such a good meal!  This is my surprise guest's plate.  He took the photo himself, not bad!

Deep Fried Brussels Sprouts with pepper jelly, garlic chips and buttered panko 
1 pound brussels sprouts
1 bottle of canola oil
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup pepper jelly (If you don't know what this is let me know)
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 400.  Slice your garlic into very thin "chips"  Heat 1 cup of oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.  When it reaches 365 degrees (I guessed to be honest) drop the garlic in and stir them around a bit while they fry to a golden color.  Remove to a paper toweled plate to drain the excess oil. Add the rest of the oil to the dutch oven and heat to 365.  Drop half the Brussels Sprouts and fry for 10 minutes.  Drain to paper towels.  Add the rest of the brussels to the oil and cook similarly.  Add them to a bowl and toss them with the pepper jelly.  Place them on a foiled pan in the hot oven and roast for 10 minutes. Add your breadcrumbs and butter to a pan and cook until the butter is melted and the breadcrumbs have some (but not too much) color on them. Place them back in the same bowl and toss with the garlic and breadcrumbs and plate!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments