Making something out of nothing (Copycat Alice Springs Chicken)

I usually work out after work these days and need quick easy meals.  I also leave certain days open for dates and impromptu social plans without need for a meal plan.  I usually have some leftovers to repurpose or some great staples laying around just in case I need dinner on the fly. This meal is a result of one of those nights.

I made mustard greens for a lunch experiment (coming soon) and had some leftovers for a side.  But what for the protein?  I had leftover mushrooms from enchiladas and bacon from meat bombs and I always have chicken, cheese and onions laying around.  What should I make? And then I was inspired by a memory.

I grew up in the suburbs and most of the time when we went out to eat, it was at a chain.  As an aside, you may know that I am in a group that goes to Chain Restaurants to relive our childhood!  My mom fell in love with Outback Steakhouse when we got one in our city and we went there a lot as a result. One of my favorite dishes there was Alice Springs Chicken! And it had all of those ingredients! I can make that!  

This was not as good as I remember Alice Springs being at Outback, but they probably use a lot "worse for you" things than I did.  And as I learned at Red Lobster for chain gang, my palate is ruined with all the good food I eat now.  But it was still a great quick low carb dinner!  Try it, just don't overcook your cheese like I did.  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday

The cheese got really hard instead of melty.  I don't know what I did to cause that!
The cast. Everything but the mushrooms is always on hand!
Brown up that chicken.  This had a bone and I pulled it out.  #chefskills
Hey crust!  Brush your honey mustard on it at this point.
Saute up your mushrooms and onions.
Throw them on the chicken.
Then add your bacon.  I cooked it a bit. Thank you thieves for making me invest in a DSLR!
Then add cheese.  I guess I should have let it melt on its own!
The I didn't broil it, but it looks like it!


Chicken in the style of Alice Springs from Outback Steakhouse
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
4 tablespoons honey mustard
4 pieces bacon
one onion, sliced
one pack mushrooms, sliced
shredded colby jack cheese
Green onions for garnish

Preheat oven to 350.  Heat olive oil in an oven safe pan and brown chicken on each side for 5 minutes each, when done, brush each with honey mustard and remove to a plate.  At the same time, in a cast iron skillet, cook the bacon until almost fully cooked.  Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.  Add onion and mushroom and cook until both are soft and browned.  Place chicken back to oven safe pan and top each with 1/4 of the onions and mushrooms, one piece of bacon, folded over and then top with cheese.  Place in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Garnish with green onions.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments