Almost Vegan Part Deux (honey garlic chickpea salad)

I'm always looking for delicious and healthy things I can cook once and eat all week for lunch.  It makes my life easier when social events pop up, I have to work late, don't feel like preparing ahead or I just don't have leftovers to take the next day.  This recipe was a winner for that requirement.    

I made this on a Sunday and expected to eat it for four days.  I ended up adding chicken to it and stretching it to five. This has a great depth of flavor with the different herbs and the tang of the red wine vinegar; which balanced so well against the sweet honey.

Make this.  Add chicken or eat it alone as an almost vegan meal.  Honey seems so vegan to me, but I guess animal byproducts are animal byproducts!  It is a great lunch and so different, you won't regret it!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Just chock full of goodness.
A simple, fresh cast
Luckily I had Altoids at my disposal for after lunch meetings.
Making the vinaigrette.
Roasted corn is so good, it is my favorite way to corn.
Chop your veggies/herbs
I'm getting really good at this,  It can be messy, be careful.
Toss all the ingredients...
And then add that yummy dressing.  So delicious!
Honey Garlic Chickpea Salad (adapted from How Sweet It Is)
Ingredients:

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 ear grilled corn, cut from the cob
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 lime, juiced and zested

In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, onions, corn, tomatoes and basil  Toss well with the salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, add the oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, lime juice and zest. Heat over low heat and whisk until the mixture is warm and garlic cloves are sizzling a bit.  Pour the liquid over the chickpea mixture and and toss well to coat. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. It gets better with time!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments