Leftovers deserve a good repurposing (Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and chicken sausage saute.)

I hate throwing food away.  It makes me feel guilty.  I think about the poor starving kids in Africa (you 80's kids know what I'm talking about).  It makes me feel greedy.  It makes me feel like I am disappointing my thrifty, waste not-want not grandmother.  You get the picture.

I had some chicken sausage leftover from the gnocchi skillet I made recently.  I could not bear to throw it away, so I went to the Al Fresco website for some inspiration.  I found this recipe that contained brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.  I decided to make it more simple and cook it indoors since it is so hot and I don't have a grill anymore.  

Simple and delicious is what I like to strive for and this one is exactly that.  Salt and pepper are all I usually need to make something yummy if there is onion and garlic involved!  And this is a true one pot meal!  Make this, you will love it!

Simple and delicious!
I repeat, simple and delicious.  Summer needs that!
Sweet potatoes are so vibrant and pretty
As are red onions.  Which I feel should be called purple onions, amirite?
I still cannot believe I never had these growing up.  I feel cheated.
Look at all that flavor they packed in.  So good!
A beautiful array of ingredients, so low carb and healthy!
Add the sweet potatoes and onions first, they need more time.
Then add the rest of the party. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Plate and sprinkle some cheese if you please.  You will not be disappointed.
1 (12 oz) package al fresco Chicken Sausage (any flavor, I used sin dried tomato) cut into rounds.
1 pound Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed 1”
1 large red onion, loosely chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
 Salt and black pepper to taste
Olive/Avocado Oil
Optional Parmesan cheese for garnish

Add a drizzle of oil to a large skillet over medium heat.  Add sweet potatoes and onion and cook until browned, about 7 minutes.  Add rest of ingredients except cheese and cook another 10 minutes until vegetables are browned to your liking.  Plate and garnish with cheese.  So easy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments