Updated Comfort food (philly cheese style meatloaf with mashed cauliflower)

I'm just going to leave this here...


Yeah that looks good, huh? Philly Cheesesteak style meatloaf.  Just so delicious.  Meatloaf gets a bad rap.  It is cheap, filling and can be delicious when you do it right.  This recipe, it did it right.  I just wish I would have not been a good girl and put one more piece of cheese.

Sauteeing the onion and bell pepper gives this such a nice depth of flavor and provolone cheese is just a natural for some melty goodness on it.  I served this with mashed cauliflower and it was so reminiscent of dinners at my grandma's.  This time I steamed the cauliflower and pureed it in the blender with 1/4 cup evaporated milk.  I added a little cheese and green onions to fancy it up.

Make this meatloaf. People will love it!  I promise.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

That is a sad looking bell pepper.  I was going to use ground pita chips for breadcrumbs but that failed.  I improvised with just adding some flour.  It worked!
Chop up your onions and bell pepper.  I cut the recipe down for me.
Get some good color on them.  Or what would look like good color if my camera cooperated!
Toss your loaf ingredients in there.  Season with salt and pepper.  This is important.
Take half and form it out.  Place half the cheese on top.
Form the other half on top.  Add more salt and pepper because you forgot to do that earlier.
Place the rest of the cheese on top. And wait.
And then a short while later you have this.  
It needed a close up.
If I would have put the normal amount of cheese in this would have been a cooler picture.
Feels so comforting and retro, but it's not potatoes!

Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf (Adapted from Of the Hearth)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
1 lb. lean ground meat
1/4 cup flour
1 egg
Several dashes salt and pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder or dried minced garlic
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
6 slices provolone cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a skillet, sauté the onion and pepper in the oil until tender. Combine these veggies with the remaining ingredients except the cheese in a bowl. Place half of this mixture into a greased loaf pan and top with 3 of the slices of provolone cheese. Repeat so you have two meat-cheese layers.  Bake for 45 minutes (the internal temperature of the meat should reach 165°F). Allow the meatloaf to sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments