French Onion Chicken Zoodle Casserole

You may have noticed that since I got a spiralizer for Christmas I am kind of obsessed with zoodles.  I just love them, nutritious noodles that don't make me feel fat.  And they taste great!  I am always looking for new recipes that involve them so I can use them in even more ways!

My new favorite link up is Meal Plan Monday with Southern Plate and Southern Bite.  It did not happen this week.  But a few times ago when it did happen I stumbled across a new blog, Climbing Grier Mountain.  And man did she have some great recipes.  My favorite being one for French Onion Zoodle Bake.  Holy cow, this was like 13 times up my alley!

I just can't find the words to tell you how delicious this is.  It is one of my favorite new recipes, and it is low carb to boot, what a score!  It combines My love of french onion flavor with my newfound love of making zoodles.  And cheese, glorious cheese!

You can use store bought zoodles as well and even regular pasta if you aren't little to no carb like me. But trust, you will not miss the pasta if you make this.  You can also make this vegetarian by leaving out the chicken and subbing veggie broth.  I was going to bring my guinea pigs leftovers but I kept them all for myself!  Make this, you must!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

How could you pass this up?
The cast.  That is my chicken in the foil.  And I forgot to use the thyme! 
This is back in the old house as you can tell.
Caramelize the onions in some butter.  Go ahead, curse me for tempting you.
Making zoodles is easier than you think!
Just a little seasoned salt and a little oil for the chicken.
I mean, how good does that look?
I decided to make it extra stinky and add garlic and shallots!
Add your broth.  I did not follow the proper directions but it came out fine! 
Combine chicken, zoodles and onions really well.
And then add your cheese, please!
Bake until the cheese looks nice and browned.  MMMMM.
And enjoy!  So freaking good!
French Onion Zoodle Casserole ( Adapted from Climbing Grier Mountain)
2 1/2 cups zucchini noodles
1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, minced
1/4 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup cooked chicken
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a skillet preheated to medium heat, melt butter. Place onion into skillet and and cook until golden brown about 20 minutes..  Make sure to stir occasionally to keep the onions from burning. Add garlic and shallot and cook until wilted. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth.  Cook for 5 more minutes.   Next, spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl combine zucchini noodles, chicken and French onion mixture. Pour the French onion zoodle mixture into the dish and garnish top with  cheese. Place in the oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments