Modified from original and still good! (Corn Barley salad with avocado and chicken)


This salad is one I have made several times and it is just delicious.  I tweak it a bit from Kristin's original recipe to my taste and needs each time I make it.  This time I had corn and barley in my freezer from other projects, rotisserie chicken that was going to waste and some spinach I needed to use.  I will put the changes I made in this post, go back to Iowa Girl Eats to see the original version, please and thank you.  

The flavor of the marinade/vinaigrette is just so delightful I cannot describe it. So tangy!  The avocado is so good with it, taking on the flavor and melting in your mouth.  I liked the addition of the spinach to make this more crisp and healthy feeling!

I like to make this for lunch and just parcel out the salad components in individual serving sizes, but this also is so substantial you could make this for dinner.  Try it out, tweak it and enjoy!  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up for Meal Plan Monday!

Oh this old/new house y'all!  I cannot get over how the natural light just makes the pictures pop! 

I like my tomatoes with a little heat on them.  
The corn was out of the freezer so it needed a little heat as well.
I placed it over spinach.  A great addition!

So delicious and easy, perfect for a summer dinner!
Corn Barley Salad with grilled chicken and Tomato vinaigrette. (Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)

4 chicken breasts
3/4 cup medium barley or brown rice to make gluten-free
2 cups fresh or frozen-then-thawed sweet corn kernels
1-1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup minced shallot
4 slices bacon, chopped then chopped (I left this out)
1 avocado, chopped
salt & pepper

For the Tomato Vinaigrette:
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 clove garlic
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
salt & pepper

Cook barley with a pinch of salt according to package directions. Place into a large bowl to cool slightly. Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a food processor or blender, then process until smooth. Place 6 Tablespoons of the vinaigrette into a plastic bag and set the remaining aside. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt & pepper, then add it to the bag with the vinaigrette and marinate in the refrigerator while you make the Barley Corn Salad. Stir corn, cherry tomatoes, shallot, and bacon into the cooled barley. Add enough of the reserved tomato vinaigrette to coat and stir well. Gently fold in avocado then season with salt & pepper to taste. Place into the refrigerator. Heat a grill to high and grill chicken for 4-5 minutes a side, or until cooked through. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes off the grill, then divide salads onto plates and top with grilled chicken.  Or place all on a bed of spinach like I did!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments