Following directions is not my strong suit (gnocchi, tomato and chicken sausage skillet)

I love an easy almost one pot meal.  Less dishes!  Even though I have a dishwasher now, it still is a pain to do the dishes.  Just not my favorite chore.  And I like chores!  

I received this recipe in a Kitchn email, which is usually one of my favorite resources for fun recipes. It was an email containing summer recipes and this one for a gnocchi skillet with tomatoes and chicken sausage jumped out at me.  It sounded delicious!

I have not had gnocchi in ages, actually not at home since I made my own many moons ago.  I decided to go with whole wheat and sweet potato gnocchi to make it feel a little healthier.  I didn't read the directions carefully forgot to cut the tomatoes in half so that made this hard to eat, make sure you don't skip that step!

This is just about one pot, super quick, and easy.  I made this, photographed it, ate it and cleaned up, then my roommate looked up from her studying and said, "what the heck did you just make?  It was so fast!"  You definitely need to try this.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Doesn't that just look divine?  I had to add a little cheese.

Just add water, salt and pepper and some cheese if you please.
Chop up some stuff
Boil the gnocchi for less time than it took to make the water boil.
Saute the tomatoes and sausage.  Again, remember to cut your tomatoes.  Thanks- MGMT
Add the gnocchi to the party.
Some basil is mixed in and then plate away.  Add cheese.  Or not.  And make sure you cut the tomatoes.  Am I annoying you yet?  Well, I  bet you won't forget now!
It was so good.  And a bit photogenic if I say so myself!
Tomato, gnocchi and Chicken Sausage skillet (adapted from the Kitchn)

1 pound gnocchi
Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pack chicken sausage (Iused sun dried tomato flavored), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick coins
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
1 to 2 ounces fresh basil, julienned (1/2 to 1 cup loosely packed)
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling; cook the gnocchi for 2 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil.  Heat a 10-inch or larger cast iron skillet over medium heat with a light drizzle of olive oil. Add the sausage and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Push the sausage into a pile at the edge of the skillet and turn the heat up to high.  When the skillet is quite hot, add the tomatoes, skin down, crowding them in if necessary. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are blistered, then stir in with the sausage. Cook for 2 more minutes, until both tomatoes and sausage are slightly browned. Stir in gnocchi and cook just until all is combined, and stir in the basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments