A buffalo flavor lover's dream (Firecracker Chicken meatballs)

I love when it is my turn to host book club.  I research my Pinterest Boards and come up with a theme based on the book.  This last time I hosted, we read a book about social media and young women.  I did not read the book and I knew it was not going to have a real food theme, per se.  But after reading the reviews, what came about was a spicy menu.  A perfect pairing for white wine!

These firecracker meatballs were on my radar for awhile and I jumped at the chance to make them.  I like spicy stuff and most of my friends do too.  I decided to sub buffalo sauce for regular hot sauce because I had a lot laying around.  

These were really hot!  I liked it when I tried one but I knew I would have to cut the heat for some guests.  I served them with some avocado cilantro Greek yogurt ranch and that was just the ticket to make them perfect.  I would suggest serving them with the creamy dipping sauce of your sauce.  Even plain old sour cream will work as these have a ton of flavor! I left out the red pepper flakes below as that is probably the ticket for making the sauce perfect. Make these and spice up your life!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
Pretty meatballs, all in a row!
Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
The cast
Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
I love ground chicken, it takes on any flavor.
Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
You can tell this sauce is going to be hot!
Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
This is pre basting, to bring the heat!
Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
No one touched the extra basting sauce, but loved the greek yogurt sauce!

Firecracker Meatballs (Adapted from Little Spice Jar)

For the meatballs:
1 ¾ – 2 pounds ground chicken (or turkey)
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 large eggs
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder

For the sauce:
½ cup buffalo hot wing sauce
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt

Position 2 racks near the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 475ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.  In a saucepan, combine the ingredients for the sauce over medium high heat, allow to come to a boil, reduce the heat so it simmers. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool. The sauce will thicken as it cools. In a large bowl, combine the meatball ingredients. Use your hands to mix all the ingredients together. Don't overmix, it will result in drier meatballs.  Shape the meat mixture into ball, about 3 tablespoons of meat per ball. Place shaped meatballs on prepared baking sheet. bake for 13-15 minutes or until the meatballs are completely cooked.  Using a tablespoon, dip each individual meatball into the sauce. Alternately, you can brush each meatball with the sauce. Place back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 1-2 minutes. Serve with ranch or another creamy dipping sauce.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments