A foil pack actually made on the grill! (Broccoli cheese ranch chicken foil packet)

Welcome to another installment of foil pack camping dinners for the summer!  I made a bit of a fancy one last time.  This one is a bit more mainstream, although I did use an odd ingredient for the base.  I was at my sister's helping her and my brother in law with the kids since they both had night time work events starting at different times.  I had to feed the kids and brother-in-law and figured I would let them in on my plan for foil packs.

This usually calls for bacon bits and rice.  I was going to make my own bacon bits, but that was not in the schedule.  I had some polenta leftover that I wanted to repurpose so I left out the bacon and subbed the polenta for the rice.  I also couldn't find her ranch dressing, so I improvised with just some powdered mix.

The result was tasty and so delicious.  I loved having the barbecued flavor in there.  I also forgot to spray the foil again so the end result looks wonky.  The ranch mix worked perfectly to season the polenta and chicken and the broccoli cooked perfectly.  I think keeping the chicken raw helped in that process.  Make this yourself, on a campfire, grill or in the oven.  Make a memory!  Full recipe to follow the montage.  Also sorry for the crappy iPhone photos!  Forgot my camera at home! Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

All assembled and looking pretty.  If only I had sprayed first!
The simple ingredients, so easy!
If you have florets you can skip this step!
Cut the polenta into some nice round disks.
Spray the foil, place three rounds down and sprinkle with seasoned salt.
Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with some ranch.  This is for brother in law, I only need one piece of chicken.  I am the opposite of a growing girl, or hope to be!
Add your broccoli.  I did not have enough so I stole a little cauliflower out of a leftovers box.  
Top with cheese and sprinkle salt and pepper if desired.
Wrap them up and place them on a grill, campfire or in an oven.
Ah the suburbs.  Good for some things.
I cooked this for about 20 minutes.  Looking good! I told the nieces the polenta was potatoes, they bought it!
Broccoli cheese ranch chicken foil pack

4 chicken breasts (I used boneless skinless thighs so may require 2 per pack depending on size)
2 heads of broccoli cut into florets
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 tube of polenta, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
Seasoned salt and salt and pepper to taste

Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium high heat or heat oven to 350.  Cut four large pieces of foil. Spray all with cooking spray on one side.  Place three rounds of polenta down the middle and sprinkle with seasoned salt.  Place chicken down center of polenta and sprinkle with 1/4 the packet of ranch.  Place broccoli over chicken and sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Wrap up tightly and place on grill or in oven for 20 minutes.  Serve!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments