Improvising is easy! (Easy slow cooker carnitas)

One of the personality traits I've always struggled with was being a bit inflexible about my plans.  I am a planner for sure, I live by my Erin Condren Life Planner, I plan what I am going to order before I get to restaurants, I can tell you what blog post I have planned for two weeks from now and I am signed up for Pure Barre Platform classes on Saturday mornings through August.  Last year when my life got flipped upside down after I had it all planned out, I was determined to become more flexible.  

But when you are me, being flexible still takes a bit of aforethought.  I had my week planned out for meals with my Hollygrove Box and then I got invited to do other things.  I was planning on a pork chop and beet risotto the night in question.  It was perfect because I could just pop the pork chop in the freezer and save the beets for later since they keep so well.

The following Sunday I went to meal plan. I had corn tortillas, tomatoes, corn, a jalapeño, and the pork chop. I needed lunch for the week.  Ooh, I needed tacos for lunch.  I thought my pork chops were fatty enough to try and make carnitas.   I was right!  This is super easy, a crock pot meal and so delicious.  Make this for your next taco Tuesday and you will not be disappointed. The flavor of the marinade really immersed itself in the meat and it was so good with the roasted corn and fresh salsa, although any salsa will do!  I had two coworkers come in on separate days and ask is that you, tell me what that is! Full recipe after the montage.

Simple yummy and local tacos, delish!

The cast of characters.  Just for the pork.  The salsa has been made before, you can see that montage pic here.  I have gotten better at blogging for sure!
Season your chops with salt and pepper. 
Make a rub of oregano, garlic and cumin.  Yum!
Rub the pork with the rub and some olive oil.
Chop the onion and jalapeño into big pieces.  You don't want to get them in your mouth,  just in the sauce.  Or do, it's your carnitas. 


Pop them in there with the juice of an orange.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

And 8 hours later you have this.  Crock pot meals aren't always the prettiest, but they are delicious!
Brown up that meat to make it even more yum.
Nothing like fresh homemade salsa.  I made my momma's day by giving her leftovers.  She calls my salsa "world famous"
I love my grill pan.  And roasted corn.  So delicious.
I usually don't jump that fast to the finished product but sometimes it happens...


Slow cooker Pork Carnitas (adapted from recipe tin eats)

Ingredients:

1-2 lb fatty bone in pork chops 
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
1¼ tbsp table salt OR 2 tbsp kosher salt or sea salt flakes
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 oranges, juice only (or sub with ¾ cup fresh orange juice)

Rub
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp olive oil

Season the pork with salt and pepper.  Combine the rub ingredients then rub all over the pork. Place the pork in a slow cooker (fat cap up), top with the onion, jalapeño,  and squeeze over the juice of the orange.  Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 6 hours ( The meat should be tender and falling off the bone. Remove from the slow cooker and let cool slightly. Then shred the pork using two forks.

To Serve
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non stick pan over high heat. Place shredded pork into the pan and press down and cook until the bottom side is golden brown and crusty.

Happy Cooking!

Missy







No comments