True decadence (Bacon bourbon brownies)

I wanted to make a fancy dessert for my family reunion.  I am a sucker for brownies so I wanted to make some of those.  Since I am an overachiever I decided regular old brownies would not do.  I was playing around on Pinterest and saw this recipe for Bacon Bourbon Brownies.  Holy cow, three of my favorite things in one, I had to make it!

These are very decadent and perfect for a special occasion.  I wish I would have gotten a pic of an individual one so you could see how moist and yummy they were.  The salty and sweet combination is one of my favorites and if it is yours, you need to make these!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday!

Yummy and hot out of the oven

The cast.  That is the end of my spring bottle of bourbon!
I had to do this twice, I forgot about the first batch and they turned black.
Nothing like the sizzle and smell of bacon in a cast iron skillet.
I like mine nice and crispy.
Chocolate and butter.  No wonder I love them.  Whomever created a brownie first has my heart.
Sugars combine

Then add the melted chocolate butter.
Mix it altogether.  I may have licked the whisk...
Pour it into a parchment lined pan and sprinkle crumbled bacon.
Pop the pecans on top, bake and drool.
Bacon Bourbon Brownies (Borrowed from Food and Wine)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 pound sliced bacon
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 packed cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons bourbon
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing 2 inches of overhang on 2 opposite sides. Spray the paper with vegetable spray. Spread the pecans in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, until fragrant. Let cool, then coarsely chop the nuts. In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp, 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and let cool; reserve 3 tablespoons of the fat. Finely chop the bacon.In a saucepan, combine both chocolates with the butter and stir over very low heat, until melted; scrape into a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat in both sugars with the reserved 3 tablespoons of bacon fat. Beat in the bourbon. Add the eggs and salt and beat until smooth. Sift the cocoa and flour into the bowl and beat until blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the bacon and pecans on top. Bake for about 50 minutes, until the brownies are set around the edges but slightly wobbly in the center; a toothpick inserted into the center should have some batter clinging to it. Transfer the pan to a rack and let the brownies cool completely. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares or rectangles and serve.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments