A tale of a foodie that hates Valentines Day (short ribs in tomato sauce)

I have never liked Valentine's Day.  Even when I was in a relationship I just thought the whole thing was silly.  A manufactured holiday to make the card, flowers and candy industry some money on their downtime.  I feel like we should celebrate love every day.  I may not be "in love" with anyone these days, but I love my friends, family and life and I try to show them and me love every day, I don't need a holiday to have an excuse. 

Sorry if you love it, I can appreciate that, above is just my personal opinion.  I don't judge anyone for anything, everyone is entitled to celebrate what and how they want! (I mean that in all areas, not just Valentine's Day)  One of my work besties and I were discussing our shared opinion on this holiday.  I told her I was planning on seeing Casablanca and then making a yummy steak and sides and she suggested I come over and cook with her and her hubby for a My Shitty Kitchen on the road post. He would grill and we would do sides. And no dishes to clean! I immediately said YES!

Well plans changed and he had to go out of town.  We modified our plans and they came out even better!  I saw Casablanca and then went to her house.  We took her one year old with us to pick up fancy daiquiris at Bouree and went to Whole Foods to see what jumped out at us!  (Only in New Orleans, right?)  We were standing at the meat counter and locked eyes on the grass fed short ribs.  I remembered I had a Pioneer Woman recipe on my Pinterest food board that I had been wanting to make.  It sounded like a great plan!  It certainly was a happy accident.  It was so delicious, baby girl loved it, hubby loved it leftover and I got some to stock away in my freezer.  You really need to try this on a weekend. It's like a party in your mouth.  It is time intensive, but a has a good bit of it hands off time.  Full recipe after the montage.

I may have forgot some things, but they will appear below.  I love her kitchen so much, but the natural light really intensifies it!

I chopped the onions extra small for my picky eaters.
We used some bacon grease her husband keeps in the fridge. I appreciate this about him. 
 This range had to be photographed! Her house in general is just my style but is one of my favorite elements!
Brown those beautiful short ribs.
I had to do it in batches.  They smelled so delightful.
A yummy pile of meat.
Saute the onions and garlic in the leftover fat.  Revel in the smell.
Add the tomatoes and sauce and scrape up the brown bits.
Throw in the seasonings.
Nestle your short ribs back in the pot.
I forgot to add the wine!  Blasphemy!  I was too busy drinking it and socializing.
Okay that's better!


Little lady wanted to help us do some preemptive dishes.  She was such a big help!
Since we weren't going to let them cool I took them out about halfway and skimmed out some fat.
Just look how delicious!  And how much more fat I have to skim!
I am not sure that there is anything better in life than egg noodles. Well there is I am sure, but currently, nothing can top them...
I decided to have mine in a bowl.  It photographed relatively well.
She had hers on a plate.  It photographed better!
The perfect amount leftover for us to have plenty of leftovers!
Short Ribs in Tomato Sauce (Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

Ingredients:

8 whole Beef Short Ribs
2 Tablespoons bacon grease or oil of your choice
Salt And Pepper, to taste
6 cloves Garlic, Crushed
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
1 cup Red wine
1 big can (28 ounce) Whole Tomatoes
1 can (14 ounce) Tomato Sauce
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 teaspoon Ground Thyme
1 pound Fettuccine
Grated Parmesan Cheese


Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  Heat bacon grease or oil in a heavy pot over medium-high to high heat. Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper. Brown short ribs in oil,  in batches, about 1 1/2 or 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.  Pour off excess oil if there is any and throw garlic and onions into pot. Stir to cook for a minute or two, then add tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, salt, red pepper flakes, and thyme. Stir to combine.  Nestle the short ribs back into the pot, submerging as much as possible in the sauce. Cover pot and place into the oven. Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Short ribs should be tender and falling off the bone. * Using a spoon, skim off the excess grease into a coffee cup and discard properly when cooled.  Boil pasta according to package directions. Parcel out pasta, then top with tomato sauce and short ribs. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

*Optional! *Remove ribs from pot. Allow to cool, then wrap tightly and refrigerate. Allow pot of sauce to cool a bit, then place pot into the fridge for several hours or overnight. Remove hardened fat/grease from the top. Discard fat. Return ribs to pot, then return pot either to stovetop or oven and warm it up.

Happy Cooking!
Missy

No comments