Tuesday Team Meeting! (sweet potato oatmeal breakfast muffins with greek yogurt "icing")

I am a strictly green smoothie girl these days but back when I lived in Austin, my schedule was always so crazy so I always changed up my breakfast.  I would make trips to Waco a lot and would sometimes have to leave the house at unfathomable hours, so I needed quick and convenient breakfasts so I could resist the urge to stop and grab a breakfast taco at the gas station by my house. Man I miss those breakfast tacos.  I don't miss the trips to Waco.  I just got a new phone and I was so upset that my custom alarms did not transfer.  I had one still on there for the day I gave my notice at work that I was moving back to New Orleans.  It was set for 5:15 am and it was called "WACO FOR THE LAST TIME M'FERS!"  The all caps were so that I would actually wake up!

These muffins were on heavy rotation in the winter months.  It was so cold getting up that early and a warm oatmeal muffin and some hot coffee were just the ticket to feel as cozy and warm as possible while I waited for my windshield to defrost.  They have some yummy spice to wake you up too!  And they are low fat, no dairy (if you don't use the "frosting") and have heart healthy oatmeal!  Plus the original post I borrowed these from has nutrition value so you get it here too! Score!

I decided to make these for our Tuesday Team Meeting and they did not disappoint!  Some were turned off by the Greek yogurt and wanted it on the side, they ended up eating it plain it was so good! These can be made ahead of time and frozen individually in the freezer.  You just take one out, pop it in the microwave for a bit and it is warm and ready in no time.  Try them out!  Let me know if you do.  Full recipe after the play by play. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday.

The cast.  I ended up only using two yogurts.

If you are baking, poke holes and wrap in foil
I love my Trader Joe's grinders!  I mads the icing first so it could meld well.
I burnt my hand on this one.  I was due for a kitchen injury!

I added some bonus flax seeds, we all need some secret nutrition in our life!  I was going to do hemp hearts at first, but I didn't want to give anyone ideas about me...
I added the banana when I used to make it so I decided to keep it in there.
You can't really taste it that much.
Mash all that up as best as you can, sweet potatoes and not super ripe bananas are temperamental.
Add your wet ingredients and mix up further.  

Add oatmeal to the party and get it good and coated, you don't want burnt oatmeal, that's the worst.

Scoop them out.  This is my new fancy Cupcake pan
And they don't look much different cooked, but they definitely taste better!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast muffins (Adapted from Sprint to the Table)

1 ½ cup mashed sweet potato (I baked mine and then mashed, but you can also use canned)
1/2 a banana
1 egg
½ tsp almond extract (I didn't have so I subbed vanilla extract)
¼ tsp maple extract
3 cups rolled oats
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
½ tsp of ground ginger
¼ tsp of ground nutmeg
1 tsp of baking powder
20 drops liquid stevia (I used 5 individual packs of powdered) (you can also sub 1/4 cup sugar)
¾ C Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners, or grease with cooking spray. Mix together sweet potato, banana, egg, milk, and extracts. Stir in oats, spices, baking powder, and sweetener. Mix in milk and stir until combined. Pour batter evenly into tins. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
Per Muffin (approximate): 134 cal, 2.3 g fat, 23.8 carb, 3.2 g fiber

Greek Yogurt "Icing"
2 mini containers of vanilla fat free Greek Yogurt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar 
or do like I did and use a sugar cinnamon grinder!

Place yogurt, sugar and cinnamon in a lidded container.  Stir well and refrigerate.  Dollop your muffins as you please!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments