Yet another cauliflower substitution (Cauliflower alfredo sauce with zoodles)

I like trying new things most of the time.  I tried out a spiralizer and am loving my zucchini noodles.  Pasta they will never be, but honestly I like them better than whole wheat noodles.  If I'm going to have traditional pasta, I would rather have fresh ones made but someone else in a restaurant.  On cheat day.

I was wondering what I could do with my zoodles beyond regular marinara sauce and making stirfry and decided to head to pinterest to find new zoodles recipes.  For some reason this pin popped up for Cauliflower Alfredo.  It looked intriguing.  I figured why the heck not try it out! 

I doctored a bit.  I have never used chicken bouillon cubes and it just felt silly when I could just use stock.  I added some grilled chicken I had lying around.  I added a teeny bit of butter.  And I served it over zoodles. I made them with my cheap and easy Kitchen Active Spiralizer Spiral Slicer. Alfredo sauce will never be Alfredo sauce without the cream and butter.  It just won't do.  So I hate calling this Alfredo sauce, but that is what it is pretending to be.  I ended up really liking it, but I also have some weird taste buds as I've told you. Cauliflower is much better in soups like my Buffalo Chicken Soup  and as a sub for mashed potatoes .  Next time I may try it with fat free half and half or maybe try the immersion blender.  I may have not blended it enough but the texture just was not there.  Neither was the flavor of Alfredo, but very tasty nonetheless. In fact I froze the leftovers and used it in something this week that it was perfect for!  Try it out low fat ladies!  Let me know how yours turns out.  Full recipe after the jump.

The cast.  I promise I only a half tablespoon of butter.  That's nothing!
 I talked smack about cauliflower subs one time.  I should have learned a lesson, they are the best!
I have another cauliflower recipe that is way better at pretending to be something it is not.
I apparently just wanted to punish myself.  Zoodles AND fake Alfredo sauce?
Pulse cauliflower and other sauce ingredients to make a sauce.
Saute up the zoodles
No one is going to mistake this for actual Alfredo sauce, but it was actually delicious and different!
Cauliflower Alfredo sauce: (Adapted from Julia's Album)

Ingredients
1 cauliflower head
1/2 cup hot chicken stock (plus more for thinning)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 tablespoon garlic salt
salt and pepper, to taste

Clean the cauliflower head from green leaves, and chop it into reasonably large but manageable pieces. Place it in the big sauce pan with water, bring to boil and boil for 30-40 minutes until cauliflower is really soft. Remove from heat and drain cauliflower from water. You should have about 3 and 1/2 cups of cooked and sliced cauliflower pieces. In a food processor, combine drained cooked cauliflower and chicken stock with Parmesan cheese, butter and seasoning, and process really well, until a very creamy sauce forms:  Transfer sauce into a large sauce pan and keep it warm on the stove top. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Add more stock if sauce needs thinning.  Toss with noodles or zoodles in pan and serve.  Stir in grilled chicken if desired.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments