An impromptu delicious meal (maple glazed carrots and ham and cheese chicken)

I pinned this recipe for maple glazed carrots awhile back.  I was intending to make it several times and then something fell through.  I always have carrots laying around for a quick snack with hummus or yogurt ranch.  One night my dinner plans fell through and I turned to the trusty carrots to make a yummy side dish.  But what to have with it?

I had some ham, apple and cheese leftover from my new usual weekend lunch that usually involves those things.  I decided to make a new creation and place that on the chicken.  It was really good!

But back to the carrots...They were delicious.  I remember always having "cooked carrots" at my great-grandmother's house when I was little.  I never really had them cooked after she went on to the the nursing home and this was a good reminder of my memories of her.  I was so lucky to have 7 of my 8 great grandparents living when I was born, stuff like that just does not happen anymore!  The sauce was delicious and a good contrast with the sweet carrots!  Serve this on the side of anything or even make it for a holiday or other special occasion!  It is delicious!  It also looks like a fail because the sauce that was supposed to be leftover was put on the carrots accidentally and it resulted in hard black stuff.  That's what I get for not reading directions! Full recipe after the montage.

I thought I would tease you with the finished product for a change!


The cast of characters for the carrots only.  I was still thinking about the chicken.

The sauce ingredients minus the miso paste.  I didn't want to buy it just for this.  #onabudget
Still looks delicious without the miso paste I think!
Toss carrots in sauce and pop in the oven to roast.
I salt and peppered the chicken and browned it first.
My favorite sandwich ingredients!
I was using my fancy pan because my boss told me about this article.
Add some apple slices
Add a piece of ham.  I am partial to my local brand, Chisesi's
Add a slice of cheese and stick it in the oven to melt.
I entered a instagram contest called I cheffed up with this photo, I didn't win.
Mmm that looks good!
Maple Glazed Carrots (adapted from Closet Cooking)
ingredients
2 pounds carrots, well scrubbed or peeled
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon grainy mustard
1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
1 small clove garlic, grated

Toss the carrots in half of the mixture of the oil, maple syrup, mustards, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven until tender and lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes, turning half way through, before tossing them in the remaining glaze and serving.

Ham and Cheese Chicken (Created by me on the fly):

4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp.  Avocado oil
salt and pepper
one green apple, sliced thin
4 pieces of deli ham
4 slices of cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Add oil to a pan and heat over medium heat.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat on each side for 2 minutes.  Add a few apple slices to each piece of chicken, top with a piece of ham and then a slice of cheese. Place in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.

No comments