Sausage switcheroo (Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato Soup)

I have brought you some recipes from The Food in my Beard before.  All of the food over there is delicious and so creative.  I stumbled across this recipe one time and new I would love it.  Brussels Sprouts and sweet potato together?  Hells yeah!  

I have made this soup many times. Every time I make it differently. The first time I made it, I made it as directed with hot Italian sausage it was phenomenal and I ate it for weeks.  The second time I made it I used quinoa instead of sausage as I was a vegan for a hot minute. It was still delicious but I missed the meat.  I have made it with different sausages over time. This time I decided to go with chicken sausage just to check it out.  It tasted delicious, but I wasn't appreciative of the texture.  After all of my trial and error I definitely think that fresh sausage is the way to go for texture.  Every version tasted awesome but the fresh sausage makes it better.  I will try fresh chicken sausage next time!

The flavors of this soup are great.  Very hearty and earthy and fills you up on a cold day.  I froze it for later and it was delicious reheated.  Make yourself up a big pot of this sometime and give your insides a virtual hug, that is what it felt like.  Put your own spin on it and let me know how it turns out!  Full recipe after the montage.

The delicious cast.  I wasn't sure if that was beef or chicken broth in my freezer but oh well!
I just thinly slice Brussels Sprouts. The mandolin is my fingers' enemy.
Heat up your sausage first.
Get a little color on it.
Onions go in first as they need the most time in the saute pot in order to be delicious.
Add the sweet potatoes
Then carrots and celery go in next.
And then in goes the delicious garlic.
Add the sausage back in and stir around.
In the meantime roast your Brussels until nice and crispy.
There was some broth added in the meantime as well.  Then you throw in the sprouts.
Top with some parm cheese and you are good to go!
Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato Soup (adapted from The Food in My Beard)
2 Cups Chopped Carrots
2 Cups Chopped Celery
2 Cups Chopped Sweet Potato
2 Cups Chopped Onions
5 Cloves Garlic (diced)
1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Oregano
1 Tablespoon Chile Flakes
1 pound of sausage of your choice
2 Pounds Brussel Sprouts (cleaned and sliced thin)
2 Boxes Chicken or Veggie Stock
Ground Parmesan or Romano cheese for garnish

Remove the sausage from the casing or cut into rounds. Brown meat and remove from pan. Remove some of the fat if there is too much or add some oil if not enough. Saute the onions in the remaining sausage fat for about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook another 5 minutes. Add in the carrots and celery and stir and cook another 5 minutes. Finally add in the garlic and cook another minute. Return the cooked meat to the pot and add the stock, oregano, and chile flakes. Simmer until the veggies are tender. Meanwhile, toss the brussel sprouts in oil, salt, and pepper, and broil to brown about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently (Depending on your oven, check it). When the soup is about ready, kill the heat and add in the Brussels sprouts. Serve with cheese.

Linking this up with Meal Plan Monday with Southern Plate and Southern Bite!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments