A road trip grilling adventure with a cute crowd (recreating the Houston's Hawaiian marinade)

I went to visit my best friend, Toni, in Alabama a few weeks ago.  I used to go visit her all the time before I moved to Texas.  We would always go out, or order in Friday night since I would get there so late and then cook Saturday night. We settled into a tradition of grilling fajitas,just like I usually do at my parents' house.  Now that I have a food blog I need to try new things or make things I have made before that I haven't had a chance to blog about when I cook for the most part.  I perused my pinterest board and came up with all kinds of fancy foods that I would never cook for just one and without a dishwasher.  Visions of gourmet danced through my head!

As usual, when I make plans, the universe has other ideas.  I need to stop planning things besides meals!  It was absolutely gorgeous weather and the kids were having so much fun playing outside that we decided to grill.  I had to make something different than fajitas, and we are all low carbers.  I remembered I had pinned a recipe that was recreating Houston's Hawaiian ribeye. It is my go to when I eat there, which is it a lot.

Tangent time.  There used to be a Houston's in the suburbs.  My parents went all the time and it was the main place we went to dinner.  It closed last year and my mother threw a fit on Facebook.  My friends and I have inside jokes now about "going all Houston's" on something.  There is still one in the city though, and it is how I get my parents into the city to take me to dinner!

This was delicious!  The marinade really came through after only a few hours.  The original recipe called for marinating it for a much longer time, but I think that is because it was for a different cut of meat.  We grilled some veggies including artichokes for the sides and they were amazing!  Try this marinade, you will not be disappointed! Full recipe after the montage.

The cast of characters, I wish I had a beautiful kitchen like this with bright light!
OOh that is my size clove of garlic!
Chop it up!
Pour all the ingredients together and mix on up.
Pour it in a plastic bag and marinate for 3 hours to three days.
Trim the artichokes up.
Wash the veggies and prep them.
Steam the artichoke and let it cool for a bit.
Split them in half and brush them with oil for grilling.
Mmm look at that, so delish!
In the meantime, let's play in the backyard while daddy heats up the grill!
I had to take over the grilling because someone had a little too much to drink.
Slice it against the grain.  Notice my hot tiger bracelet I purchased.
What a pretty grilled plate!  It was so delicious.
The Marinade
1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
6 oz of pineapple juice
1 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 minced garlic cloves or 2 tsp of garlic powder
2 tsp minced ginger or 1 tsp of ginger powder

Meat:
I used a little under 2 pound flank steak.  Use whatever cut you would like.

Combine all ingredients.  Place the meat in a zippered plastic bag and pour marinade over it. Marinade for at minimum 3 hours or up to 3 days.  Remove meat from bag and discard marinade. Place meat on a preheated grill.  I grilled the flank for 5 minutes on one side and 4 on the other and it was a perfect medium rare.

Grilled Artichokes:

Cut stems off of artichokes and steam for 20 minutes.  Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise and drizzle with olive oil.  Grill on either side for 10 minutes.  Serve with vinaigrette for dipping.

Happy Cooking!

MIssy

No comments