A refreshing summer cocktail (Cucumber mint basil vodka cocktail)

I am not a fan of cucumbers.  Okay I guess they are alright, they just are not my favorite.  At least I am consistent, I don't like pickles at all.  I blame this on my Daddy, which is unusual, He will eat anything, my Momma is the picky one!

I got a Hollygrove Box for the Eat Local Challenge and there were the dreaded cukes in there.  I let them sit while I brainstormed a good way to use them without eating them in a salad.  To the google. Hmmm.  How about a drink?

Mint, basil and cucumber all have a cooling effect so why not make a simple syrup with that and make a vodka drink?  I made just one little drink for me and then saved the simple syrup in the freezer for when I host the other book club.  I hope that turns out okay! (Update: This post is old, it turned out okay!)

The single drink was great!  And if you are pregnant or not a drinker, this is hella delicious with just some seltzer or even with a Lacroix!  Try it out, it is perfect for a hot summer day!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

The non alcoholic portion of the cast.  All local, some delicious.
Chop the cucumber and pick the herbs off the stem (not pictured)
Once boiling, add your stuff.  You know, what we chopped.
Strain over a bowl so you can keep that lovely simple syrup.
Mix it with vodka (Tito's is local enough right?  I mean I used to live in Austin!)

And seltzer and enjoy!
Cucumber, Basil & Mint Cocktail
Simple Syrup:
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 handful mint leaves
1 handful basil leaves

Drink:
1 oz vodka
1 oz simple syrup
seltzer water to top off

Heat sugar and water over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved.  Bring to a boil, add cucumber and herbs to sugar mixture.  Cover and let steep for at least 1/2 hour.  Strain out the solids, reserving all liquid.  This is your simple syrup.  To make drink, combine vodka, simple syrup and seltzer over ice.  Feel free to leave out the vodka. Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments