Waffles better than Daddy's (The greatest waffles ever)

I had a true feeling of pride when my niece said that about these waffles.  My mom loved them too. When I told my brother in law how I made them when he got in from golf, he said I was too fancy with my whipped egg whites.  Harumph!

This sounds daunting but it took maybe 6 minutes more than making waffles out of a box.  And I made these for hungry children and my sisters and mom you suffer from the Murphy hangries so you know it wasn't that much prep work! 

Sorry for the terrible photos, this was done on my old phone on paper plates while being a short order cook!  Full recipe after the montage.

Where is my syrup!?


We were out of regular oil and used olive oil in a pinch.  I took this on the balcony for fun.
Add your dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
Separate you eggs.  I almost went with some Offspring lyrics here but I decided to spare you.
Mix in the yolks, milk, oil and vanilla..  
I should have used a bigger bowl!  Whip the whites until they get stiff.  
Fold them in. There should be lumps.
And then make waffles!  See how easy it is?  Even an Aunt can do it!

The Greatest Waffles Ever (Adapted from Serious Eats)

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 egg whites

In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center. In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk, vanilla and oil. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (should be lumpy). In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up). Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white, Do not overmix. Spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron, making sure not to overfill it. Serve with real maple syrup and unsalted butter
Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments