I love when it looks like the picture! (Crockpot Enchilada Quinoa)

I am currently in the throes of moving and trying to pare down my pantry as the new/old house does not have one and I am going to have a roommate who also likes to cook.  I had some quinoa, black beans and Trader Joe's fire roasted tomatoes and green chiles in my pantry.  I had some enchilada sauce in my fridge as well as half a large squash.  This crew was calling out to make something I have made before that is in my recipe hall of fame but I decided better of so I could make something new for the blog.  Enter this recipe I found on Pinterest for Crockpot Enchilada Quinoa.  It looked so good, relatively healthy and easy!  Plus I had everything on hand!

And I was correct, it was so good!  I may have cheated by making my own enchilada sauce, but there is so much richness in here you really don't notice that there is no meat.  The quinoa takes on the flavors so nicely you almost think it is rice you are eating.  This is definitely one I would recommend for busy summer nights.  You could even roll it up in a tortilla and pretend like it is really enchiladas!

Full recipe to follow the montage, enjoy!

Seriously, go click through to the Pin and compare.  I am so proud of how this came out, both looks and taste wise.
The cast.  I added a jalapeno and forgot the squash.  I am leaving the jalapeno out, it added unnecessary spice that was not needed.
Chop
More chopping
and even more chopping.  But you can do this the night before!
My crockpot will saute too so I just threw the veggies in for a minute.
Add the liquids and cans and stir.  Set it and forget it.
Stir in some cheese then add some on top.
Put the top back on and let it go for 15 minutes.
Plate and enjoy!  So good!
Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa (Adapted from Two Peas and their Pod)

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup veggie or chicken broth
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, seeds removed, diced
1 small squash, diced.
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans mild red enchilada sauce
1 can diced tomatoes and chiles (I used Trader Joe's fire roasted, you can jsut use Rotel)
Juice of 1 small lime
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
Optional toppings: Sliced green onions, avocado, diced tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro, and lime wedges

Combine the quinoa, broth onion, garlic, squash, red pepper, black beans, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes and green chiles, lime juice, cumin, chile powder, and cilantro in a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours, or until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked.  Remove the lid and stir the casserole. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Stir in the half the cheese and sprinkle the other half on top. Put the lid back on and cook until the cheese melts, about 15 minutes.  Serve warm with desired toppings.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments