Time to buckle down! (Chicken Detox Soup)

I've gained 10 pounds somewhere between January and now.  Okay I gained 10 pounds at mardi gras and I can't lose it.  My clothes still fit, but tightly, and I can tell a difference in my body.  Pure Barre spoils me, it made me think I could eat and drink whatever I want and stay my size.  While it is true I could sustain my normal healthy eating and healthy appetite for nightly wine, but not for popeyes and pizza and beer and daiquiris and who knows what else on a 10 day bender! It was time to detox!

I saw this recipe for Detox Soup  on Pinterest and it looked like just what I was looking for.  Then I started reading the ingredients.  I thought, this soup sounds weird but is going to be awesome. And it was.  It has superfoods, is so healthy and low carb.  And will probably leave your stomach growling if you don't eat a full serving like I did all week, so eat your soup!

Make this sometime if you need a good healthy lunch or dinner, you will not regret it!  I left out the peas and I made my own chicken stock and just used the meat from the whole chicken.  it was a tad dry but not too bad.  If you make according to directions it will not be dry.  Full recipe to follow!

Doesn't that look so healthy and delicious!?
The chicken is missing, it was making stock!
Onions of course
And who doesn't love celery?
Add those purdy carrots and you have mirepoix!
I did my best with grating ginger.  I also bled.
Saute the veggies up!
Hello Stock!


Chicken Detox Soup (Adapted from A Spicy Perspective)
Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
2 quarts chicken broth
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
3 cups broccoli florets
2 1/2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups chopped celery
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh shredded or grated ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
Salt and pepper

Set a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, chopped onions, celery, ginger, and garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes to soften. Then add the chicken breasts, broth, carrots, apple cider vinegar, crushed red pepper, turmeric and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20+ minutes, until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Then remove the chicken with tongs and set them on a cutting board to cool. Add the broccoli, peas, and parsley to the pot. Continue to simmer to soften the broccoli. Meanwhile, shred the chicken breasts with two forks, and stir it back into the soup. Once the broccoli is tender, taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments